Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How to Make Your Own Foaming Hand Soap


foaming hand soap

 








Here is a simple way to make your own hand soap and save money, too. (It's a very frugal thing to do.) In a nutshell, all you have to do is just add water to regular liquid hand soap. This works because foaming hand soap is essentially a very watered down liquid soap.

You will need:

  • A large refill size of liquid hand soap 

  • A disposable foaming hand soap dispenser (the same kind you can buy at your local supermarket or department store) 
liquid soap
After using up all the soap in your foaming hand soap dispenser, rinse it out, put in a squirt of regular liquid hand soap (don’t add too much) , fill with tap water, shake and you’re ready to go.


Tips:

  • If the foaming dispenser is not foaming and just making “oinking” noises - you have added too much liquid hand soap -- pour some out and add some more tap water.

  • You can save water: without turning on your tap water, squirt the foaming soap into your dry hands and swish it around, then turn on the tap and rinse your hands. This will save water and save money on your water bill down the road as well (we live in an area of the country that has frequent droughts).

  • Use a liquid soap without anti-bacterial ingredients: the more anti-bacterials you use, the more resistant super bugs (viruses) will be created.

Benefits:

  • Saves money - your large refill size of liquid soap will last a long time!! (now that's being FRUGAL!)

  • You can save water and save money too!

2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your site and am reading through it bits and pieces over the last couple of days. I liked reading some of your kitty advise and my question has to do with that topics and this topic combined. I have three kitties that luckily use one box although an extra one is there if needed, and I "do the box" every night at the very least. I fanatically wash my hands after exposure to their waste. I used to use only anti-bacterial soap in my house but after doing some reading about resistance, I started using "regular" liquid soap. But after I wash my hands with "regular" soap after cleaning the cat box, I sometimes think that it doesn't do a good enough job as anti-bacterial soap would. Do you have any thoughts on this, and/or am I just feeling paranoid about all this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that washing with regular soap will remove all the germs from your hands as long as you wash them for 10 to 20 seconds. If you are still worried about handling their litter box - you can use latex or latex-free gloves when you clean the litter box. Also, I use a scoopable litter that I buy at my grocery store. It is Cats Pride Natural - it clumps well, is free of perfumes and dyes, and is a low-dust formula. That way I don't have to actually scrub out the litter box as often as the clay litter.

    ReplyDelete