Friday, August 6, 2010

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the Best Moisturizer for Very Dry Skin

extra virgin olive oil


After menopause, there is a natural decline in the amount of oils produced for the skin. So, my once oily skin is now so very dry. My latest discovery for mature dry skin, or for any dry skin, is to apply extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) straight on my skin. After I tried many different body lotions (some even with Alpha-lipoic acid which will slough off dead dry skin to help reveal a newer skin layer beneath) I still couldn’t get rid of that shriveled up dry feeling in my skin.

I found that straight extra virgin olive oil works the best. I apply it to damp skin, or if my skin is already dry - I wet my hands and apply some water to my skin, and then apply the olive oil.
Applying straight EVOO seems to work better than applying cream or lotion to the skin. I presume this is because I am applying more oil than is in the lotion or cream, and there is no wax involved (wax is used as an emulsifier in creams and lotions to help oil and water mix).

Make sure you use EVOO, as skin absorbs chemicals directly into the bloodstream, you will want to use extra virgin olive oil, or better yet, organic extra virgin olive oil - so as there are not any chemicals or pesticides absorbed.

I put some EVOO into a small plastic travel size bottle that is easier for me to use in the bathroom.


More EVOO Benefits:


(1) EVOO also repairs damage to skin cells and helps to prevent wrinkles due to its antioxidant properties which fight off damaging free radicals.

(2) Also, seeing I have some arthritis type problems in my right knee, I put a little extra on it because EVOO has “oleocanthal," a substance that acts like ibuprofen.

No comments:

Post a Comment