Wednesday, March 9, 2011

How I Used Alternative Treatments to Cure My Urinary Tract Infection(UTI, Bladder Infection)

Disclaimer: I do not provide medical advise or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine.   The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.  Consult your doctor before following anything you have read on this website.



The first signs of a urinary tract infection (UTI) for me




are some irritation when urinating and maybe a little burning after urinating.   I really want to act quickly to prevent a full blown UTI as now I find that I am allergic to penicillin, bactrim, sulfa drugs and levaquin.  I seem to be running out of antibiotics that I'm not allergic to!  So now I have turned to alternative treatments for my UTI.

The first things I do now to prevent a full UTI infection is to take the following:


(1) Homeopathic Cantharis 30x or 30c.  This is a homeopathic medicine that is generally use for a UTI.  Homeopathic medicines work by stimulating your own immune system.

I take the pills 3 to 4 times a day for 3 days.
Symptoms Cantharis works for include:
  • Burning pains when urinating

  • blood in urine

(2) D-Mannose - this supplement is an ingredient in Cranberries. It is very sweet (its a simple sugar) and not acidic at all.  It  causes the bacteria  to stick to itself and not stick to the walls of the bladder.  The bacteria is then passed with urination.

I take 1 teaspoon every 2 or 3 hours for the first 2 days, then cut back to 3 times a day for the next few days.
D-Mannose works on these bacteria:
  • It works against e.coli, which is the most common UTI bacteria.

  • It also works on Klebsiella bacteria.

  • It does not work on other bacterias.

(3) Olive Leaf Extract - Although no clinical trials have been conducted as yet, Olive Leaf extract research has shown that it is an antiviral and an antibacterial agent.    The studies show that it is effective against many different strains of bacteria including E.coli bacteria strains, Staph, Salmonella and even drug resistant bacteria too.

I take four 500mg  capsules, 4 times a day for 7 days (that's 112 pills).  Olive leaf extract comes in different strengths - I buy one that has 500mg per capsule with a oleuropein concentration of 18%.  The higher the concentration of oleuropein the better.    The maximum amount of extract to take is 2000 mg per day, but for acute infections it is 2000 mg 4 times a day.  I buy a bottle that contains around 150 pills.  See more information at Olive Leaf Monograph at Alternative Medicine Review.

Olive Leaf Cautions:

  • Do not take with blood thinners or blood pressure medicines because it can potentiate the effects.

  • As the bacteria is eliminated, a Herxheimer reaction or "die-off" effect may happen.  This can cause a person to have diarrhea, fatigue, flu-like symptoms or headache. If this ever happened, I would cut back on the olive leaf or stop it until the symptoms stop, and then resume taking it at a lesser dosage.

  • It has not upset my stomach at all when taking it, but if it did, I can take it with food.

UTI Prevention


Drinking cranberry juice seems to prevent all types of bacterial  UTI infections.

So once a day I drink 4 oz of unsweetened cranberry juice (or Cranberry 100% juice).  I could also take the D-mannose on a daily basis as well (though it is more expensive than cranberry juice).   It seems that when I stop doing this religiously, that's when my problems start.

I also keep on hand a full bottle of d-mannose, olive leaf extract and cantharis so I can treat an infection before it gets bad!   I buy my supplies  from Vitacost.com to save money or from my affiliate site Amazon (see below):


*Disclaimer: I do not provide medical advise or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine.   The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the FDA.  Consult your doctor before following anything you have read on this website.    See my full medical disclaimer under Terms of Use.

16 comments:

  1. I was wondering because of the the pain that I felt in my lower right waist. Without even knowing that it is already Urinary Track Infection (UTI). I find so hard to heal this ill. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it might be an immense help to all of us, especially to those who loves to drink soft drinks and alcoholic drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent information for UTI sufferers. I've also found that you can use apple cider vinegar or horseradish root to naturally treat a UTI in addition to cranberry juice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 45 years old and just had my first UTI. I tried to cure it the first week with D-Mannose sugar. It seemed to help until I added cranberry pills. My symptoms got worse because it changed the PH in my bladder. My gynocologist put me on an antibiotic called Macrobid for 3 days being that the bacteria was enterococcus and the culture came back that it was a small colony. The second day of the Macrobid, my hands started to itch, and had some headaches. On the 3rd day I started getting mucsle weakness and back pain. Upon reading the side effects, that is what I was having. I did not take my last pill even though I was still getting some symtoms of lower abdominal cramping.
    I knew I had to do something alternatively because I didn't want to go back on another anitbiotic.
    The Next morning i drank Apple Cider Vinegar( 2 tsp in 8ox water) 1 teaspoon of a product called U-tract 4x day, and a product called A-biotic 3x a day. This is the second day on this regime and I feel so much better.

    Hope this helps others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're feeling better. It sure seems that Apple Cider Vinegar helps all types of illnesses. I looked up the other products you are taking and the U-tract product is D-mannose, and the A-biotic product has the natural ingredients of garlic plus olive leaf, oregano, and elderberry - all of which kill have antibiotic and anti-viral properties. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alternative treatments more often than not also works like conventional medicine. they are even safer and cheaper too. .;,`*

    Warm regards http://www.foodsupplementdigest.com">

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bladder infection can always be managed by taking antibiotics. It is also very helpful to drink more than 8 glasses of water a day. **:,;

    Have a great day! http://www.foodsupplementdigest.com">

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blood in the urin can be a sign of a more serious disease. it should always be evaluated by a qualified physician for a more accurate diagnosis. ,,;'.

    Till next time http://www.foodsupplementdigest.com">

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a kidney infection once with a 101+ fever. I took wild oregano oil (wild is best) every 2 waking hours (about 1/3rd dropper full). If I went over 2 hrs, my fever would creep back up. I also drank Echinacea tea and took d-mannose. Do replenish with probiotics (good bacteria), as oregano oil can deplete it. I have read that olive leaf extract does not interfere with probiotics. I do not yet have experience with it though concerning a kidney infection.

    Whatever you do, please be aware that antibiotics of the Quinolone family such as Cipro or Levaquin are believed to be making many very ill, causing permanent, horrific, long-term effects in thousands of people. Google Quinolone Toxicity Syndrome. I personally would be leery of any antibiotic (or drug), except for maybe Penicillin, but even then, natural is best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find that olive leaf is a very good stuff to use in the skin. It is really very soothing and it is full of phytochemicals as well which helps fight cancer. ,''"*

    Yours trully
    http://www.prettygoddess.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're probably not answering questions on this since its a year old but I'll take a chance. Do you take ALL THREE types of pills or one of the three? I have Olive Leaf but didn't know if I need to run out and get the others as well. My doctor gave me an antibiotic I'm reluctant to take. SHould I do both or just the antibiotic OR other. Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some alternative treatments work better than conventional medicine and most of the time they dont have any side effects at all. '

    Stop by our very own blog page as well
    http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/gnat-bites/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should always seek early treatment for bladder infection coz it can become more severe. ^

    Take a look at all of the helpful post on our blog site
    http://www.foodsupplementdigest.com/tribulus-side-effects/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for shate about canberry supplements. I love your posts. That are so natural ways
    the best cranberry pills to use for a UTI

    ReplyDelete
  14. This info soooo helpful! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete